Week One: The Plan

With this genius hour assignment, I think it's the perfect opportunity to try something that I wave always wanted to do, make a macrame wall hanging.  I have always loved doing artsy crafts and my room is in desperate need of some decoration.  Given this eight weeks to do a project is my chance to make my room a little less boring.

Macrame Wall Hanging from Creative Chic Shop on Etsy
I have chosen to make a macramé wall hanging because they are unique and beautiful and I can make it as hard and time consuming as I want.  It was a pretty easy decision for me to make as I have considered buying a hanging, but now I can just make it instead.  Over the course of the eight weeks I will make my piece as big and complex as I can.  To do so, I will need only two materials; rope and a pole to tie it onto, plus colored string if I decide to add it later.

I have ordered a twisted cotton rope like the one provided in the image, and plan on hanging all of the rope on a simple wooden pole either four or five feet long.  It is on this pole that I will be tying my knots.  I plan on using Pinterest and YouTube to aid me in learning how to create different knot types.

Image result for macrame rope

As far as my planning goes, once I get started I hope to get a complete row of knots on every week.  If things go smoothly, I will be able to add more rows and possibly some color to make my end product more elaborate.  Hopefully my planning will set me at finishing this project at the very latest time possible.  Of course this should happen from doing a lot of work, not because of procrastinating.

Emerald Macrame Wall Hanging - MossHound Designs
Colored string weaved into rope



                                                       

Comments

  1. I love this idea as a project, especially since I have considered learning how to do this before. I can't wait to see what you do with this project, and if all goes well, maybe you can teach me how to do macrame! Are you going to post pictures each week of your progress so we can all see what you are doing? It would be interesting to see how much you are able to complete in a week! I hope this is a new hobby you will continue to do after this project is over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a cool project to pick! I'm excited to see how it will work out! I have never really heard of macrame or ever really seen it so I am ready to be impressed. Have you had any struggles yet? When you add color, are you going to add any sort of pictures, shapes, things of that sort? I can't wait to see your progession!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you chose macrame as your project, I was a bit hesitant, but the idea of an oversize hanging behind your bed is really cool and worthy of Genius Hour. I am looking forward to seeing your progress.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment