Week Five: Finishing the Spiral
After yet another two weeks of our genius hour I have come closer to finishing my lovely macrame hanging. These two weeks were spent finishing the spirals which I blogged about in my last entry, and doing my best to make the angles even. I've added another 220 knots, which brings the total to 2,014 knots.
If you read my last blog I included a video showing how to create these spirals, but what the video doesn't explain is that every spiral comes out to be a different length. This is due to them being tighter or looser than others. Just tying the second half of the spirals took me about 2 hours (counting the time it took me to count knots and untie any mistakes or bad knots). I've spent probably another hour just loosening and tightening the spirals to create consistent angles.
To create even rows, you will have to pull and push your knots together. Some rows will have to be longer, while others shorter. To make them longer, you will have to pull down on the knots to reach your desired length. To make it shorter, you will push up on the knots.
I didn't accomplish as much as I maybe would've liked other the course of these two weeks, but the time to work on it was just hard to come by. I was out of town a lot (and I can't really throw this in a suitcase) and I've had A TON of homework to do. I still am unsure what I will be doing next week as I am getting very close to finishing this project.
If you read my last blog I included a video showing how to create these spirals, but what the video doesn't explain is that every spiral comes out to be a different length. This is due to them being tighter or looser than others. Just tying the second half of the spirals took me about 2 hours (counting the time it took me to count knots and untie any mistakes or bad knots). I've spent probably another hour just loosening and tightening the spirals to create consistent angles.
![]() |
| Spiral Square Knot Steps |
| Finished Spiral Square Knots |
To create even rows, you will have to pull and push your knots together. Some rows will have to be longer, while others shorter. To make them longer, you will have to pull down on the knots to reach your desired length. To make it shorter, you will push up on the knots.
I didn't accomplish as much as I maybe would've liked other the course of these two weeks, but the time to work on it was just hard to come by. I was out of town a lot (and I can't really throw this in a suitcase) and I've had A TON of homework to do. I still am unsure what I will be doing next week as I am getting very close to finishing this project.

Morgan, this seems like it is a very time consuming project for you. However it looks very creative and that totally suits who you are. You’re very creative and these spiral knots look difficult as they range in size. I hope you are having fun doing this project as I wouldn’t have the patience to sit down for hours and tie knots all the time. I wish you the best of luck on finishing your macrame.
ReplyDelete