Week Seven: Finishing Up


Well, every knot has officially been tied.  After everything thing I've endured and the frustration I have withstood it is done.  Over the course of the last week I meticulously tied another 284 knots.  And not, ladies and gentlemen, the total you have all been waiting for!  (drum roll please) 2,494 knots!  YAYYYYYYYY!!!

So let me tell you what it took to complete my macrame wall hanging.  When I left things off last week, I had a row of grouped square knots. To finish, I added another row of  double half hitch knots.  This took FOREVER.  I don't know why it was so hard, but I struggled getting this row evenly spaced.  At this point, the rope was too short to add anymore knots, even if I wanted too, so I had to finish it up.


To complete the hanging, I had to tie off the ends of all of my ropes to prevent fraying.    In the first picture, you can see now much of the rope was actually used.  This is where I cut the rest of my hanging off.



The rope that I used isn't real rope, meaning it has thread inside of it.  What I did was pull up the rope part and cut off the thread about two inches up.  This allowed me to hide what was on the inside.  I then was able to tie a knot on the bottom of my rope to prevent fraying and keep it looking nice.







After completing my hanging, there are a few things to be said.  This hanging took 1,127 feet of rope (almost enough rope to encircle a track).  All of that rope has been condensed into a macrame hanging which reaches just four feet long.  Only three types of knots were used throughout the process in numerous ways and styles.  And finally, yes, my fingers often painfully cramped and I regularly rope burned my fingertips.  With it all  Now that I'm done, all that is left to do now is add a rope to hang my creation from above my bed.







Comments

  1. That is truly impressive Morgan!! I admire your ability to stick with such an involved project and see it through to the end. You should be super proud of yourself. I am wondering if you intend to keep doing other types of macrame pieces or if you think you've had your fill. I know you would make an excellent teacher and I would love to learn how to do something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is awesome! That is a lot of rope and I bet your hands did get tired. Congrats on your finished product!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Shark Tank: Charcoal Drawing

Week Seven: Next Canvas

Week One: Abstract Realism