Week One: Abstract Realism
Well, I finished my first drawing. YAYYY!!! Earlier this week I spent an hour scrolling through pictures on Pinterest trying to find the perfect thing for me to draw. It seems a little ridiculous to look so hard for a picture, but I wanted to love it. Soooooo, yes, I am too picky.
It took me awhile to decide on how to go about the drawing because I can't draw a chart on the canvas which is how I have always drawn. What I did was draw the rough sketch out onto paper in pen and then transferred it over to my canvas by shining light through it.


Just a side note, it looks better in person (I promise). Even though you probably think it's fine, the camera slightly distorted it and makes it look less detailed. Next week I am thinking of doing a white chalk drawing, the two seem to go hand in hand.
It took me awhile to decide on how to go about the drawing because I can't draw a chart on the canvas which is how I have always drawn. What I did was draw the rough sketch out onto paper in pen and then transferred it over to my canvas by shining light through it.
Once I was done drawing the basic shape onto the canvas I started shading. This took me about three hours to complete and I am very proud of the finished product. While there are still disproportions in the structure of the face, it is the first time I have ever tried to draw a person. So not only is drawing with charcoal new, but also drawing people. Admittingly, I have never even tried to do so before because I was too scared. But here it is...
The face looks wonderful Morgan! While I am no art expert, matter of fact, I am terrible at all things art, but it looked pretty flawless. I kind of get a creepo who's at the same time horrified by something is also disgusted by it. I think the shading really added a lot to the quality of the drawing which I imagine must be difficult with the charcoal drawings and not having them smudge or anything, correct me if I'm wrong. Now Morgan, are you enjoying this more or less than your macrame so far? It must be somewhat less tedious, but the tracing could get repetitive for you though . . . .
ReplyDeleteSo far, I am enjoying the charcoal drawing a little bit less. The macrame was fun because it was all one big project. The shading can be a struggle because the canvas is textures so I have to press it into all of the holes to make it black, it is also hard not to smudge it because I drag my hand when I draw.
DeleteYou have talent, especially if this is your first attempt!
ReplyDelete